So yesterday news started going around that ABC’s 20/20 was doing a hit piece on the manosphere. Check out the article HERE. The episode should air October 18. Maybe you came here because you’ve already seen it on TV. If you’ve read the article, you’ll find that a lot of commenters are…. disagreeing with the 20/20 portrayal and for good reason (or maybe the comments have been deleted at this point, happens ).
First let me get this immediately out of the way. The manosphere tends to have a “extreme right” label from a lot of folks on the outside looking in. I’m not extreme right.
I’m about as liberal as you can get. I LOVE Obamacare, love a woman’s right to choose, I’ve attended gay pride events with my friends, I participated in Occupy Wall Street. Yeah, the extreme right wing label does not really apply to me.
And I am a member of the manosphere. Unexpected, I know.
In my views I expect to be as egalitarian as possible. I know that women and men enjoy certain advantages and disadvantages in life. Shocker.
Except in today’s environment, certain topics are taboo, very taboo, so a lot of people might not even get the chance to hear about them.
One of these topics is male disadvantage, or any kind of male problems. Men are supposed to be the “rulers of the world”, so they have no disadvantages, right? Eeh, let’s see… in chronological order.
- In the USA, most males still get circumcised. This procedure carries a risk of infection or botching (however small). The reasons for this are either religious (which ends up with a mohel sucking a bloody baby dick), or for “penile peer pressure” (“I don’t want our baby’s dick to look weird”). Circumcised penises never experience full sexual pleasure. “But it helps lower HIV infection rates” people say, well, guess what, so does female circumcision, and that is still considered a practice so barbaric that it has been renamed to “female genital mutilation” (rightfully, might I add). Now, I am not saying that female genital mutilation is equal to male genital mutilation (it is far worse), but this is an issue that needs to be addressed.
- Boys are a large chunk of childhood users of Ritalin, Aderall, and similar. “Boys will be boys” is now “boys will be drugged into submission”
- Men still have to register for selective service, women do not.
- Women, while being half of the population and over 70% of degree earners, are still treated like a minority group and receive minority scholarships to attend college.
- To appear progressive, many companies give preferential treatment to female applicants, passing over equally qualified male applicants. This is prevalent in tech and other “male dominated” fields and creates a culture of resentment in the workforce, which HINDERS talented and creative women.
- Men have 0 reproductive rights. 0. Our only reproductive right is “Keeping it in our pants”. Remember what happened when a conservative politician told a woman to keep it in her pants?
Of course you remember. The media immediately declared a “war on women”. Good old Sandra Fluke.
- Men make up most of the homeless
- Men make up 99% of workplace deaths
- If you commit a crime – men are sentenced for longer for the same exact crimes.
- Men are most of the homicide victims.
- In marriage – the divorce rate is around 70% now, give or take. Women initiate 80% of all divorces, get a financial benefit in 90% of all divorces.
- Men, by default, are assumed to be pedophiles. Certain airlines, for example, refused to sit an unaccompanied child next to a male passenger.
- Men make up most of the suicide victims.
Now – the list above – I came up with it off the top of my head. Some of the numbers might be incorrect here and there, but if I am wrong on ANY of the statements above, I will retract, correct and apologize.
Now – those are only the factual statements that can be backed up with research, papers, articles and other sources. I didn’t even begin to talk about the “day to day” difficulties of being a guy.
However, if I worked for a magazine or news organization, I would face significant backlash just for stating the facts above. The liberal lynch mob would be unleashed on me without mercy. Currently they are busy with a Slate writer who advises young women to not binge drink till they black out. Poor thing.
This is why we hide, this is why we are anonymous, because expressing anything that doesn’t directly support the liberal agenda is career suicide.
Now let’s shift gears towards Anita Sarkeesian, the feminist martyr du jour.
Here is a wonderful picture from a female gamer describing the issue.
She also poked the hornet’s nest that is /b/. Now, if you have no idea what /b/ is… eeh, let google do that for you, I wont go there
Here’s a video where Anita admits to not being a gamer.
So, you take a person that doesn’t like your hobby, insults your hobby, calls it misogynistic and calls you a misogynist if you disagree with her, then gets $160,000+ in donations to enjoy your favorite hobby (that she hates) and make hateful videos about it, and doesn’t even MAKE her videos till almost a year later (my time might be off, correct me if I’m wrong). That might piss people off.
And finally, as gamers, did any of you ever have a game stash this deep? And for free?
So, humble ABC News 20/20 viewers and readers, that was only a small rant in a series of larger rants, issues, musings, etc that can only be discussed anonymously.
There are many facets of the manosphere. Some help people enjoy more satisfying sex lives. Some help people vent about daily frustrations. Some help people improve their standing in life, either financially or with better health. Some members are conservative. Some members are liberal.
Some members are particularly good at “stirring the pot” and “drawing fire”, or “starting shit” as we say in the hood. Those are the ones you notice, the shit talkers, because they scream the loudest. But, as feminist icon Laurel Thatcher Ulrich said – “Well behaved women seldom make history”, and that applies to men too.
Welcome to the manosphere. Enjoy your stay. You might just learn something.